The Heritage Trail History

The first railroad to reach Middletown, NY was the New York & Erie Railroad, an Erie predecessor, which entered the hamlet on June 1, 1843 and would remain the only railroad in the region for over two decades. In the early 1840's, the NY&E fostered the growth of the Orange County dairy industry by developing the capacity to ship fluid milk to New York City, a far more profitable business opportunity for area farmers previously limited to butter.

For additional information please check out:
www.wnyrails.org
www.mnjrhs.org

May 1843Erie Railroad tracks completed to Middletown
April 1983Last train runs on main line
April 1988Orange County purchases rail bed/right-of-way
April 1990Greenway Symposium
October 1990Orange Pathways created
October 1993Orange Heritage Trail construction begins
June 1994One mile section opened
Hartley Road to S6 Station Road, Goshen
June 1995 1.4 mile section opened
S Station Road to Village of Goshen
June 19974.2 mile paved section opened
Goshen to the Chester Depot Museum
May 19993.9 mile paved section opened
Chester Depot Museum to Museum Village
July 20031 mile paved section
Museum Village to Airplane Park, Monroe